Apple has released the latest update for iPhones “iOS 10.2”. It is a long awaited, major update and is about 360 megabytes in size.
The iOS 10.2 update has many bug fixes mainly for iPhone 7 plus users who have been complaining about these bugs for quite some time now.
Among other UI updates and changes, a few new features have been included in the iOS 10.2 update. New emojis and screen effects for iMessage, Star Rating feature for iMusic, 3 New static wallpapers are the main new features included in the update.
The iOS 10.2 update is available for iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4th generation and later and iPod touch 6th generation and later. If you want to download and install iOS 10.2 you can connect your device to iTunes or go to Settings > General > Software Update.
What Is Included In The Update?
Following are the major feature updates in the new iOS 10.2. There are other UI and bug fixes specific to different devices that are included in the changelog provided at the end of this article.
– Headphone Icon( In the Status Bar)
After updating to iOS 10.2, if your iPhone is connected to bluetooth headphones, you can see a new “Headphones Icon” in the status bar. Now, you can atleast find whether the headphones are in the same room where the iPhone is 😛 .
– 100+ New Emojis for iMessage
Apple has bundled over 100 new emoji in the latest iOS 10.2 update. Now, you can prep up your chats with newer emojis and express your feelings and actions more vividly.
– Three New Wallpapers
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus users now have three more wallpapers from Apple. Known as Droplet Blue, Droplet Red and Droplet Yellow, these three wallpapers are simple but pleasing as expected from Apple.
– Two New Screen Effects for iMessage
iOS 10.2 comes with two new screen effects for iMessage namely “Celebrate” and “Send with love”. So now you have 7 cool screen effects icluding the effects introduced in iOS 10, i.e, “send with balloons,” “send with confetti,” “send with lasers,” “send with fireworks” and “send with shooting star.
– New Widget for Lock Screen
Apple has included a new widget for Videos App that can be added to the Lock Screen. The widget shows the latest videos that were recorded and added to the Camera Roll.
– Preserve Settings For Camera App
Now, the camera app retains the last used Camera Mode and Filter like Chrome filter. This feature can be activated by going to Settings app > Photos & Camera > Preserve Settings.
– Star Ratings Feature for iMusic
You can now access star ratings from the action sheets for songs(“For You” recommendations remain unaffected).
You can activate this feature by clicking on “Show Star Ratings” after going to Settings > Music.
– SOS Feature (for Indian users)
iOS 10.2 has a special new feature only for Indian iPhone owners (as of now atleast). The SOS feature allows the device owners to automatically call the Emergency number by clicking the Sleep/Wake button 3 or 5 times. The feature can be activated by going to Settings > General > Emergency SOS.
TV App (for US users)
There is a new TV app currently included in the iOS 10.2 update for US devices. the “Watch Now” section of the TV app shows recommendations for new movies and TV shows. You can find new apps and iTunes releases in the “Store” section of the app. You can continue watching the current TV shows and movies from where you left off by going to the ” Up Next” section.
All these are the feature we at MeraPhone have been able to know. Following is the full changelog provided by Apple for iOS 10.2 update.
The Full Changelog (as provided by Apple during update)
iOS 10.2 introduces new features including the TV app (US Only), a new and unified experience for accessing your TV programmes and films across multiple video apps. Emoji have been beautifully redesigned to reveal even more detail, and over 100 new emoji have been added including new faces, food, animals, sports and professions. This update also includes stability improvements and bug fixes.
- Use Up Next to see the films and programmes you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
- Get recommendations for new films and TV programmes in Watch Now
- Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
- Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
- Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
- Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports and professions
- Improves stabilisation and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
- Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
- Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
- Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
- Additional support for RAW digital cameras
- Adds new love and celebration full-screen effects in Messages
- Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
- Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
- Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums and Songs in Library
- Stories you’ve saved for later now appear in the new Saved section
- The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
- It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story — just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
- Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
- Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
- Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
- Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not reorder items in lists
- Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide and water leak sensors
- Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
- Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with third-party accessories
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
- Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
- Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
- Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
- Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: